STRIVING TO BE GREEN
At Orchestra of the Swan, we recognise the impact of our business on the environment and are committed to conducting the company in a way that ensures environmental sustainability. In a bid to address climate change and reduce its impact on the environment, OOTS is going to implement its own green policy, thinking long term, with small changes, making a big impression on our customers, funders, etc.
A number of initiatives have already been implemented which have helped to save energy, to responsibly lessen our impact on the environment, to manage natural resources and recycle or reuse wherever we sensibly can, which as a charity, is key to sustainability.
Reduce energy consumption
- Turn off the lights
- Unplug battery chargers after charging
Choose sustainable products
- After careful consideration, get high-quality (durable and serviceable) equipment and materials
- Prolong the life cycle of appliances through regular maintenance
- Shop in the immediate neighbourhood and do your errands on foot, by bike or use public transportation whenever possible
- Order large quantities when acquiring material subject to wear and tear
- Print, when possible, on 100% recycled paper
Reduce the amount of waste
- Use memory sticks instead of CDs.
- Send emails and other paperless messages, avoid printing on paper and prefer two-sided printing
- Estimate the number of copies needed for performance-related printed materials as accurately as possible
- Use of a recycling bin
- If the equipment to be discarded contains hazardous waste, take it to the appropriate location.
- Use old printed materials for something else, such as posters, business, cards, flyers, etc.
Areas on which we need to work more effectively:
- Always turn off computers when not in use for long periods and attachments at the end of the day
- Acquire extension cords with switches
- Change light bulbs and neon gradually to energy-saving lamps, preferably LED lamps
- Rationalise transport
- Inform the recipients of postal mail that they may receive e-mail electronically to save paper
- Use one of the following logos on all our printed materials: